I used to play peek-a-boo my children. We’d cover our eyes with our hands and then surprise each other. It was as if the act of covering their eyes made me disappear then re-appear. As if, since they could not detect me, I no longer existed.
Many of us make this same assumption, subconsciously, about the existence of a spirit world. We assume that if we are not able to detect something with our five senses, then that means that it does not exist. We know scientifically that this is absurd. There are all kinds of things that exist that we cannot detect with our five senses. You have heard of the concept of dark matter? How about these particles called “nutrinos“?
Let’s be honest, isn’t it kind of crazy when we realize that at this very moment billions of particles are passing right through us, through the earth, and through space, at the speed of light, completely without our knowledge, and basically undetected? Now imagine this: these particles were not even imagined a century ago, much less detected. In the decades and centuries to come, what other kinds of particles and realities will humans discover, things that affect everything around us, but that we had no idea existed?
All around us, in us, through us, convulses realities that are completely unknown to us. They are, at this moment, completely inaccessible to our five senses. Does that mean that they do not exist? No. This means that they are undetectable, inaccessible. When I think of a spiritual world, I don’t imagine something anti-science. I imagine something that, though it may be all around me, affecting much of my reality, I am simply not able to get at it with my five senses. There may be spiritual beings passing through me and all around me without me having any idea. This isn’t anti-intellectual. This is simply admitting what I don’t know.
In this talk, Dr. Gerry Breshears talks about his personal transformation in how he viewed the possibility of the existence of a spirit world. Then he digs into Scripture and examines the types and limits of satanic stratagems against us:
Here is a list of a range of different types of Spiritual Warfare resources:
- Children Passages: passages that children could use to speak to a “scary dark thing” in their room.
- Creational Monotheism
- Definition of Warfare
- Basic Principles When Dealing with the Demonic
- Divination and other Contemporary Practices
- 10 Hour Teaching on Spiritual Warfare by Dr. Breshears (Free with Login)
- 2 Hour Teaching on Spiritual Warfare by Dr. Breshears: Part 1, Part 2, Page Link (in the middle of the page)
- Karl Payne Outline
- Psychopathology and Spiritual Warfare, by Philip Lewis, M.D.
- Can Christians be Demon-Possessed? by John MacArthur
- Removing Demonic Oppression by Karl Payne
- Angels and Demons by David Platt
- How a Scientist learned to work with Exorcists by Richard Gallagher
- Rogue Deliverance: A Consensus Statement from Pentecostal, Charismatic and Historic Evangelicals.
- Spiritual Warfare Process by Gerry Breshears
- Confronting the Reality of Spiritual Warfare by Sam Storms (Part 01)
- The Existence and Activity of Angels by Sam Storms (Part 02)
- The Existence and Activity of Satan by Sam Storms (Part 03)
- The Existence and Activity of Demons by Sam Storms (Part 04)
- Territorial Spirits and the Debate over Strategic Level Spiritual Warfare by Sam Storms (Part 05)
- The Defeat of the Devil and the Demonic by Sam Storms (Part 06)
- Our Identity and Authority in Christ by Sam Storms (Part 07)
- The Nature of Demonization by Sam Storms (Part 08)
- Doors to Demonization and Oppression by Sam Storms (Part 09)
- Demonization and the Christian by Sam Storms (Part 10)
- Deliverance: Models for Ministry 01 by Sam Storms (Part 11)
- Deliverance: Models for Ministry 02 by Sam Storms (Part 12)
- Ephesians 6 and the Weapons of Warfare by Sam Storms (Part 13)
- Article: Demonization and the Christian by Sam Storms
- Three Models of Deliverance by Gerry Breshears
- Worksheet: Who Wins in Spiritual Warfare? by Gerry Breshears (Full Outline) (Powerpoint)
- Mark Bubeck, The Adversary, Moody Publishers ISBN 978-0-8024-0991-1
- Clint Arnold, Three Crucial Questions about Spiritual Warfare ISBN: 0-8010-5784-1
- Clint Arnold, Powers of Darkness: Principalities & Powers in Paul’s Letters, IVP, 1992, ISBN: 0830813365
- Ingram, Chip. The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare . Baker Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
- Neil Anderson, The Bondage Breaker Harvest House, ISBN: 978-0736918145
- John Eldredge, Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive, Nelson 2006; ISBN 0785288295
- Charles Kraft, I Give You Authority , Chosen Books, 2012
- James K. Beilby & Paul Rhodes Eddy, Understanding Spiritual Warfare: Four Views Baker, ISBN: 978-0801039362
- Karl Payne, Spiritual Warfare, Christians, Demonization, and Deliverance, WND Books; ISBN: 1936488337
- William Kay & Robin Parry, Eds.;Exorcism and Deliverance: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives (Studies in Pentecostal and Charismatic Issues), Paternoster Publishing, 2011; ISBN: 1842276808